About the Bounty
Create a solution that lets people log into dApps on desktop through their phone.
🚨 Problem (User Story)
I go over to a friend’s place and I need to do something on a dApp quick, using desktop. I can only do that by setting up a new wallet in a separate browser, and restoring my seed phrase on it. I’d rather not do this, it’s so much hassle. So I couldn’t do what I needed to. “What’s wrong with email and password…?”
📍 Current State
There hasn’t been much explored in this area yet, but it’s been demonstrated as a working concept.
💡 Proposed Solution
A mobile application that I can use to log into dApps easily on any computer.
There are a few possible ways to do this:
- In most wallets it’s currently not possible to “Sign Message” through Solana Pay. The spec has been implemented into the standard and should be coming soon to wallets. This will allow for costless authentication. It can be used if you build your own app.
- When a wallet scans a Solana Pay QR code it sends its public key instantly to the server. Altough this is extremely unsecure, it allows for a near instant process from scan to auth completed. Anyone could hit the URL behind the QR code and send it any public key, it’s just a string.
- An empty Memo transaction can be submitted and listened for in the background. If the user can sign a transaction, it’s certain we can authenticate on their public key. A reference public key can be used to identify the transaction after it’s been confirmed on-chain. A drawback of this method; there’s a tiny transaction fee for each login, that the login provider must pay for.
- Each person can get a three word identifier when they initially open the app. These are their “username”. On the desktop side, they can choose to “Send Login Notification” as an option during Login with Solana, and type in these three words. This would send a notification to the person’s phone where they can click yes/no on “do you want to log in to dapp.xyz?”. In turn, the website receives the user’s pubkey and authenticates them in.
- The three words could be generated on the bip39 scale so the textboxes can auto jump to the next when a word is typed in correctly, so the user doesn’t have to.
- I’m able to sign into a dApp on desktop through my phone.
- The core functionality is fully on-chain.
- It’s non-custodial and the user can “export” their private key.
- The most optimal outcome would be an option in the Solana Wallet Adapter.
As this bounty is permissioned, it has a single winner, person or team.
🏆 Single Winner
- Membership in Superteam Germany
- Your shipped product is exploring possibilities similar to outlined above.
- Your application works it’s simple to use.
- You’ve shared your learnings in the form of a blog post or similar.
- All your code must be open source.
- Share the final submission on Twitter & tag @SuperteamDE , use the hashtag #Superteambounty and submit this link in your bounty application.
- Solana Wallet Adapter repo
- Solana Pay Repo
- Bounty Program FAQ
- For any questions, DM @oyacaro#5769 in our Discord or on telegram
Participation in this bounty is entirely voluntary. Bounties are a way to learn and dabble in opportunities to build in web3. These are neither full time jobs nor project based engagement. Please be advised that the sponsors will not have time for individualized feedback due to the number of entries we receive. Please check out